Friday, July 18, 2008

Sorting Pictures

You are probably wondering if you are going to get to view yet another table full of my mess as I work on my trip to Michigan. Really, I'm not that cruel. My mess is mounting, but my book is also growing. I'm going to start page 35 today, and I'm really liking the way it is turning out.

This is a picture I couldn't resist adding as it was sent to me by my Creative Memories consultant. She happened to mention that it was her mess. No way! That does not at all qualify as a mess. This is organization at work.


The feature item here should be that nifty sort box. It is a place to start with photo organizing. The box itself is approved as photo safe, which really should be a concern. It certainly is a large step above throwing photos into a drawer, which was my method for far too many years.

Thinking ahead as to photo order when preparing to start an album seems a basic must to me. I made an album of my two children when they were little, and I had one section for I-Needa with pictures entered from youngest to oldest. Then I started another section for Right Back, again with pictures progressing in age.

My Michigan trip photos are arranged by travel days. I've also labeled each new day and made a little note about what we expected to do on that day. I have to remember to include enough information that it will make sense to me twenty years down the road.

If you are reading this and thinking about a drawer full of jumbled photos in your own home, I might casually mention that you paste a sticky note somewhere concerning future organizing. Start by getting a container that is photo friendly. Make sure it is truly photo safe! A sort box might be a great place to start.

It is time to get back to my own album making. Therefore, I leave you with the challenge to do something to preserve your photos. If they were important enough to keep, they are important enough to preserve safely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! You are doing such a nice job celebrating memories!!

I do plan to have every picture and piece of memorabilia organized soon!

Even if you never expect to create an album of your photos...labeling and sorting them would be the kind thing to do for future generations.

If you are uploading digital images to your computer or buying more memory cards when they fill...Creative Memories can help with digital organization, too!

And, remember a digital image is not a picture until it is printed!

p.s. That Power Sort Box on my table will hold 2,400 photos!